New Year's Eve in Roma

6:37:00 AM

Our night started off with dinner at L'Insalata Ricca. I ordered a Margarita pizza and a glass of red wine. After dinner, all seven of us went back to the hotel and got ready for the night. We bought four bottles of champagne and a few pre-mixed drinks at a local grocery store. After getting dressed, we met in my friend's room and drank and took photos. We set off for Scholars around 9:30 because after 10 they begin to charge people a 20 euro cover. Once we got there, there was a huge line and they refused to let us in before 10 because they wanted us to pay cover. So, we left and went to another bar called Drunkin' Ship. We took tequila shots there and left for another bar because it was sooooo empty. By now it was probably 10:30 and we finally found a bar called The Abbey where we stayed for a good portion of the night. I ordered a Smirnoff Ice and shared a Peach Bellini with my friend Stephanie.
After an hour or so of chatting and and dancing in the packed bar, we were approached by two boys from Switzerland. One was named Lucas who was 21 and the other one was named Philip who was 24. They knew a little English, so we could somewhat carry on a conversation with them. Around 11:30 we left the bar because there were fireworks at midnight at the Colosseum. By now, we had a massive group of people walking with us. Somehow, we got there in time for the fireworks. My friend, Katie, managed to buy a cheap bottle of champagne for us to toast at midnight. The clock struck midnight and all of us celebrated outside the Colosseum. We began to walk back to the hotel and my friend and I realized we had to use the bathroom, however there were no buildings or bathrooms in sight... We got half way back to the hotel when more people had to go to the bathroom. While we were waiting, my friend Megan and Lucas went to the cat sanctuary (and I think it's the place where Cesear died but I'm not entirely positive. Now, cats just live there). While we were waiting for them to come back, I was freezing in my dress and Philip offered me his jacket. Did I mention they were motor cross athletes? So obviously, I had to take a picture to commemorate this moment. 
Once we got back to the hotel, we began to say goodbye to our new friends. But then we saw a massive group of people dancing in Campo de'Fiori. Campo is an outdoor market during the daytime, but apparently there was a New Year's Eve party going on. A few of my friends stayed at the hotel, but majority of us decided to live up the night to the fullest. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I will probably never be in Rome for New Year's again with super cute Swiss boys. So, we walked to Campo with the boys and danced the night away. There would be one English song that all of us girls knew and then the next song would be Italian or French and the boys would know it. We spent the night singing songs back to one another. Soon, our feet began to hurt so bad that we had to stop dancing. By now it was 3:30 and we all knew it was time to go home. The boys walked us back to our hotel and we said our final goodbyes. The next morning, Philip texted Stephanie saying that we were the nicest Americans that he had met and that they weren't expecting to be welcomed the way they were. They thanked us for making the night so amazing and said that they hope to meet us again. Although we will probably never see them again, it was a night to remember for all of us. We slept in until 12 the next day and my friends forced me out of the hotel to walk to the Trevi Fountain were we got lunch and gelato. The day went by fast, but I was okay with it because the night before was probably one of the best nights of my life. 

Photos of New Year's------------------









Fireworks at the Colosseum






At The Abbey w/ Stephanie

I'm blurry because I was trying to jump :/

Megan's model face and I'm straight cheesing


Thank you for reading! I'm going to upload another post very soon about my trip to Naples and Pompeii!!


Buongiorno,
Meg


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images